Friday, October 31, 2008

Palin as a Halloween Scare

Halloween is for scaring people, mostly kids I know, but a lot of adults have been scared out of their wit’s end lately.
Today, as I was browsing among my many e-mail news and opinion e-mails, one from the Washington Post, struck me as really scary.
Eugene Robinson, a thoughtful columnist, wrote: “I thought Palin was a lightweight; she's not. I thought she was an ingenue; she is, but only as long as her claws are sheathed. I thought she was bewildered and star-struck at her sudden elevation to national prominence; if she ever was, she isn't anymore. I thought she was nothing but raw political talent and unrealistic ambition; it turns out that she has impressive political skills. I thought she was destined to become nothing more than a historical footnote; I now think that Democrats underestimate her at their peril.
She has more to say about foreign policy besides the fact that Russia is just across the Bering Strait. She has learned much in a very short period.
And she will learn more. I predict we'll have Sarah Palin to kick around for a long, long time”
Now that’s scary. It’s as though someone predicted that in four years, Ahmedinejhad would be likely to assume the presidency of the US. I regard her kind of in that same light. She seems beyond simple ignorance . Her disbelief in evolution, and her Bible beliefs seem delusional and place her in a special category. The fact that she is so certain about everything she says and does, in view of her astounding ignorance, makes her not only scary, but potentially dangerous to the entire world.
I kept hoping that, since her appearance on the world’s stage has been uniformly disastrous, except as seen through the special lenses used by the Christian Taliban, she would sink back into the Alaskan tundra. That thinking, sentient human beings in this great nation would consider her a viable candidate for President is, frankly so disturbing that it fills me with fear for the world.
Maybe Eugene Robinson is wrong. Maybe it’s all just a huge Halloween prank on his part.
Let us hope so.
Trick or Treat anyone??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a few students trick-or-treating as Sarah Palin tonight.
Claudia