Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Waiting for God . . . While White


As many of you know, I grew up in New York City, Manhattan mostly, although we had a few excursions elsewhere. I can’t say we were poor, but we certainly would have qualified for low income.  My Mother married what we might call a Ne’er-do-well, Rudolph by name.  He apparently skipped the education part, maybe finishing 8th grade, and a bigger maybe, high school. Now Daisy, the Mom, also maybe finished high school, but Daisy got herself some training in bookkeeping, preparatory to actually getting a job.  Maybe she knew that husbands might be unreliable on that front.  So, then she got married to Rudy. Not sure what prompted that affair. Maybe Rudy was a charmer, although that seems unlikely in the extreme. Still, Daisy saw something in the dude, so they got hitched.  And then came the parade of kids. First sister Ruth in 1925. Then, in not so rapid succession, Bill in 1931, and finally me in 1934.  We must have lived for some time in Brooklyn, because that is listed as my birthplace. Now, Ruth was born in Florida, which remains a bit of a mystery. What was she doing in Florida? Maybe living there with the first dude she married before Rudy (yeah, yeah, Daisy had a brief marital fling with someone before Rudy).

But my first memories are Manhattan, Eastside, Second Avenue.  I have explained in a previous post about living in a railroad flat, the first with a shared bathroom, the second with our very own private bathroom.  And that was when Daisy was working, putting her bookkeeping to good use while working at a Naval Ship architectural firm in lower Manhattan, Gibbs and Cox. And, of course, Rudy was working once in a while, when he wasn’t drinking on the job as a bartender. Mostly, Rudy was missing in action.  And when War was declared, Rudy was still missing in action. He would have been 40ish, so well past the draft stage. Still you would think he could have come up with a job during the War.  God, everybody had a job during the War, just not Rudy.

So, we banged along on Daisy’s bookkeeping salary, barely keeping food on the table and the rent paid.  And my memories of that period are either sitting in grade school, PS-82, or playing on the streets of New York.  Now, we lived in the 70’s on Second Avenue. And, guess what? No Blacks lived anywhere on our street. Nope. To my limited knowledge, African Americans in Manhattan, were confined to Harlem, 125th Street and above.  So, I grew up, poor, but all lily white.  I literally have no memories of meeting Black kids on the street, or in school.  And we were in the streets a lot. It’s where we played—stickball, marbles, fake fist fights as a part of cops and robbers.  Lots of accidents, some cuts, broken bones, but just kid street stuff.

Then as the War wound down, Daisy decided that her kids could not remain on the streets of Manhattan and hope to remain alive—my brother Bill got hit by a passing lorry, and wound up in the hospital, scaring the bejesus out of Daisy.  So, Daisy, having actually saved some money by buying War Bonds for the past 4-5 years, decided to take her total savings and use it to buy a house in the “suburbs” of New York, in Rockland County. The plan was that, after she bought the house, our grandpa—a carpenter by trade, would fix it up and the kids would move into the house, supervised by the errant father, who was promising to be good.  Daisy would remain in the City, continuing to work at her Gibbs and Cox job, while Rudy bartended somewhere in the Rockland County vicinity.
And so we moved to a place called New City Park.  And guess what? New City Park was also lily White.  Yep, no Blacks lived there at all.  And, once there, I attended a nice little grammar school, Chestnut Grove by name. I think the entire school had about 90 kids or thereabout.   And although I would have sworn it was also lily white, it turns out, on close inspection of a school picture, we had one Black kid, who I do not even remember.  And, none in our graduating class.



And then, after graduating from Chestnut Grove, I went on to Spring Valley High School, in 1948.  While there, I actually met one or two Black kids. Turns out, Spring Valley was mainly white, and surrounded by mainly white communities. But it was not 100% white.  Still, because the community was way beyond predominantly white, black-white was never an issue. The few Black kids were just kids. All of us were just kids.  There was no police harassment—no fines for “driving while black”, no folks shot for “living while Black”.  No racial anything. And because we did not subscribe to any newspapers, I never was exposed to reading about New York City’s racial problems.

So, I grew to the age of 17, with no awareness of Black.  To the extent I attended movies, and I am sure I did, I am also sure they were movies by and about white folks.  And then I applied for and was accepted by a college in California, Stanford by name.  And, I know, your first thought is, so Richard, how come a relatively poor kid from New York select, no less get accepted by that rich school in Palo Alto, California?  Well, it turns out it was all a bit of an accident. See, my sister married a guy who became a doctor, and they moved into the San Francisco Bay Area after he finished his residency in Seattle. And when I started looking, my sister suggested I look at Stanford.  Note, there were other schools out there—UC Berkeley for one.  But no, she suggested Stanford. And, having no clue about money, I applied and got accepted. How I/we would pay for Stanford was not even within my thought-sphere.  Remember, my dad had long ago left us, so he could remain permanently drunk I guess.  And my mom still worked as bookkeeper, but now for a small local bakery in Rockland County.  Not a lot of money there. And yes, I worked part time—summers, weekends. Still, my work produced pocket money for me, not tuition money for a place like Stanford.

But it turns out that Stanford had not raised its tuition rates in maybe 20 years. It had fallen way behind the Ivy League schools. So, the total cost of attending Stanford—tuition, and room and board—was $1,300 per year (or about $12,600 in 2020 dollars). So, not trivial, but still not horrible.  My sis helped with the first year, then I worked part time to pay for the room and board thing and took out loans for the rest.  So, I wound up with a student debt of about $2500 on graduation.

But then, you might imagine I might have become more exposed to some African Americans while at Stanford. But you would have been wrong. Nope, my four years at Stanford remained pretty much lily white. I am certain that Stanford had Black students. I just never met any of them.

So, see, it is possible to grow to the magic age of 21 with no Black awareness, not to speak of friends.  Following graduation, I had become married the year earlier, we moved to the LA area, so I could join the aerospace industry working on a guided missile program. And we moved to Garden Grove in Orange County—guess what—yep, pretty much all lily white.  No Blacks in our neighborhood, and none, to my knowledge in my work.

After about a year, we tired of the LA smog and moved back to the San Francisco Bay Area, moving to Sunnyvale, and another aerospace firm, to work on the Polaris missile program. And yep, mostly all white. I say mostly as though I had seen or knew Blacks. But no, I simply assume that Blacks lived somewhere in the Bay Area, just unknown to me. See, here’s me at my exotic Lockheed workplace in about 1957. See, all the Black engineers??  No, oh, me neither.


So, now, having worked for a few more years, I turned 29, and received an offer to move to a totally exotic location—India. Now, the reactions of some of my working colleagues was borderline hilarious.  Perhaps the funniest was a colleague who said, “But Richard, how can you move there? Do you understand that there are 400 million foreigners living there?”  But move we did. Why? I don’t know. It just seemed like a good idea at the time. And, to be fair, my colleague was largely correct. India in 1964 had some 488 million people living there, and only a relatively modest number would look like me, i.e., light skinned, green or blue eyes.  Here’s a group of us at a training session we gave in Srinagar, Kashmir, circa 1965. See, the big color mix? Well, it turns out, India had perhaps as large an awareness of color, as we did in the USA. If one perused the “personals” in the local newspaper



One might find personal ads placed for the purpose of finding a permanent mate for life. And the men always asked for a “fair-skinned virgin”. Perhaps not unlike the USA, India’s human color resembled the US. As you moved from northern Kashmir, where folks tended to be very fair skinned, to southern India, people became darker in skin tone as you moved south.  And there was a clear awareness of color, almost as though it had some magic power of worth. Still, India was a diverse country, where many peoples had arrived at varying times in the country’s history from other parts of Asia. Within the country, not only was there peoples of diverse skin color, but they spoke different languages. When we were there, there were 13 different languages, and 845 dialects spoken by the people in different regions.

So, we (I) became aware of color as a variant of the human condition, and language as yet another variant.  People from different places looked and sounded different.

And then, we moved back to the US of A in 1968. And in 1968, race became an actual issue in my life. In April, as we were poised to leave India, Martin Luther King, Jr. was shot by a racist idiot at the Loraine Motel in Memphis, Tennessee.  Suddenly, race was a live issue in my, til then, ignorant life.

Now, to say I was largely ignorant of race as an issue, while true, is also partly untrue. I was now in my 30s, and I did read. I was aware of the Civil War, and its continued aftermath as a dividing issue in America. Many who lived in the South continued to hold onto the fiction that the Civil War was not about slavery, but about States Rights. Slavery, they maintain, was a side issue. Whereas, I believed, based on the reading I had completed, that the Civil War was about the ability of a State to dictate that Slavery was either legal or illegal. Slavery was a huge economic issue, in addition to a human rights issue. Many Southerners ignored the human rights issue altogether. But, I was not sufficiently aware of the deep-seated hatreds that existed within the country about slavery and about current race relations.

As I now see the world, there exist two kinds of “awareness”—intellectual awareness, and awareness based on events within your own life.  For example, I may read the New York Times articles about race relations, and become intellectually aware that America has a race relations problem of substantial magnitude.  But, if I were Black, and my brother was driving his car, and was stopped by a policeman and then shot for “driving while Black”, I would have a different awareness of race relations in America.  I would be feeling grief, despair, and then hatred. And those feelings would never go away.

And so my life went on with this partial awareness of race as a dividing issue in America.  As we moved about, and as I changed my places of employment several times, I did finally meet and become aware of African Americans. Over time, we became friends with many African American couples and individuals. But here again, the awareness thing continues. My African American friends had the same or greater levels of education, and financial status as we did ourselves. And so, their race, or color, always faded into the kind of “interesting variation” we had experienced in India.  Having an African American friend in Washington, DC, was not materially different from having a South Indian friend in India who had moved to Delhi.

And, so I have now reached the age of 85, or as I like to claim, I am in my 47th 39th year of life. And I am aware of Race. And with the George Floyd killing, I have again become intellectually aware, even if my level of rage is now intensified.  But with this level of rage, also comes a level of disbelief, furthered I think by Donald Trump. See, I have lived through 14 US presidents.  None of the first 13 even came close to producing any outrage, such as I have experienced with Donald Trump.  Now, the rage in my mind is almost palpable. Because, with Donald Trump, I see the possibility of an ending—an ending of America.  Maybe it is close to the feelings I might possess were some White idiot-malenfant take out a gun and shoot my brother. But, I have not experienced that level of personal outrage yet. But I assure you, I am close.

And now, on top of the ever-present rage at Donald Trump, comes this COVID19 thing . . . the “Pandemic”. And that thing, that vaguely horrifying cloud over all our lives has moved into our world of outrage, producing a disjuncture such as I have personally never experienced. See, now, we cannot go anywhere without introducing personal protections, and still encountering some level of personal risk. And, at our advanced age, the risk is not becoming ill with the flu. No, it is becoming ill and then dying in two weeks.

And then, on top of this weird, horrifying world of multiple risks, we sit in our chairs and watch a policeman kneel on a Black man, cutting off his breathing purposefully, until he dies. In other words, we watch a policeman carry out a premeditated murder of a Black man, while his buddies watch on without any resistance.  And that gives rise to protests and even some riots. God, ya think??

And meanwhile, President Stupidhead, quotes from a racist policeman in the South, “When the looting starts, the shooting starts”.  So, he intends to call out his own personal army troops and start shooting whoever gets in his way. Because, that’s who he is, a racist, con-man, organized crime gangster, who thinks he can order killings because he is the mafia boss.

And we are supposed to just shut up and let him do whatever he wants, while his Organized Crime PR machine, Fox News, plays bits of fluff from its unending cast of idiot racist cheerleaders.
And, because we are now seriously past our sell-by date, there is little we can do to protest, except, by God VOTE. And Vote we shall, whether the maniac in charge likes it or not. We will by God VOTE, and kick his ass out of the White House. And you can take that to the Bank Mafia-Man. And by the way, Donald Trump, kindly Go Fuck Yourself.

No comments: