Thursday, February 29, 2024

TrumpLand v. America

As you may know, I am approaching my 90th Birthday this year. And I don’t know if it is related, but I seem more preoccupied of late with what seems to be the rapid deterioration of the Republican Party.  I think I have been paying attention to Presidential politics since I was in my early teens, maybe even before, since there was that WW II thing, with FDR leading our Nation.  I voted in 1952. With Ike running away with the National vote. Ike was our President til 1960, and he was a good one, despite being Republican.  Republicans, it seems to me, have been going downhill ever since. I mean, we have elected Nixon, Reagan, Shrub and then, ugh, Trump.  Think on that. Regardless of whether you loved or hated Ronald Reagan, how does Donald Trump make you feel? I mean, it’s like the entire Republican Party just jumped off the Empire State Building.

But then, we seemed to have regained our mental acuity and threw out Trump and brought in Joe Biden. And yeah, I know, Joe is old.  He’s coming up on 82 this November. On the other hand, Trump is coming up on 78, and he seems already in some early dementiaLand. I think, had I my own way, America would be voting for someone in, maybe his fifties or sixties for President. On the other hand, if we elect Joe and, God forbid, something happens to disable him, we have Kamala to step in. And she seems to me a fine replacement. But there’s another bothersome issue. People seem appalled at the idea that Kamala might become President. But why? Kamala Harris seems bright, thoughtful, ethical and kind.  She might well make a great President. Yet Americans seem to hate her. And I cannot figure out why.

But as we drift jerkily towards November, America seem increasingly adrift in some rapids, in which if we shift in one direction, towards the right, we begin to head over Niagara Falls.  And then it’s all over, and our Republic is ended. Because, we need to be clear, Donald Trump does not really want, or even understand, to become a normal American President. Donald Trump wants and expects to become an Absolute Monarch.  Yeah, he wants to become King Donald I.  And, although I imagine Republicans would deny it, they seem actually OK with that idea. They seem to want the end of American Democracy.  Maybe they are seeking an Absolute Theocratic Monarchy.  Yeah, they are ok with King Donald, and expect that he will be seeking assistance of their Christian God. Those who disagree, they will send off to Hell, literally.

And then I think, really folks? What would your old god, Ronald Reagan think about that?  He might just shake his head, “No, America, come back to reality. We really are and must remain a democratic republic.”

But the Party of Reagan keeps slipping away. There used to be thoughtful Republicans in the Land. But now we are left with Matt Gaetz, and Marjorie Taylor Green, and Lauren Boebert, and Mike Johnson, and that Abbott dude in Texas. Not a rational soul in sight.  And that is what is beginning to drive me to distraction. I really see us headed over the Falls at Niagara, soon to crash on the rocks down below. Were I 30, or maybe even 40, I would actually be planning to migrate somewhere else, abandoning the country to which my Grandfolks came in the 1890s.  Yeah, I don’t know, Canada?? New Zealand maybe???

But at my advanced age, such thoughts simply depress me, because there is nothing I can really do, short of voting. Oh I will vote, never fear. But I don’t really have any serious money, so I can’t use money to sway the election. I can only yak away, and then VOTE.  But I have to tell you, this period is really, really depressing. I have lived in and loved America going onto, 90 years. And now you’re telling me it is over??  Now, that is depressing. Please do not do this America. The world needs a rational, thoughtful America, not an irrational, soul-destroying TrumpLand. Pay attention America.  PLEASE.

No comments: